Friday, March 8, 2013

Better Late Than Ever -- A Boomer's Perspective

My latest novel, “Better Late Than Ever,” is a fictional depiction of Phil Greenfield, a 60-year-old, recently retired bachelor, and the dangerously misdirected focus on youth Phil discovers behind the private stone walls of a modern retirement community. The residents of this community go to extremes, and pay the price, for attempting to make the final trimester of their lives better, or at least as good, as their preceding years.
 
I don’t know about you, but there are many experiences from my earlier years that I’d just as soon not re-live. . . zits, being picked last in dodge ball, having a rusted out P.O.S. car in high school, 2 a.m. feedings, fighting my way halfway up the corporate ladder. . . just to name a few.  And now that I’ve hit 60 (very recently), I can say there are many aspects of my life that truly make it enjoyable. My kids are grown and doing well, professionally and personally.  I’ve retired from a 30-year career that has afforded me options on how I spend my time. My wife and I are healthy, and we enjoy each other’s company.  And I began writing three years ago, a pursuit I’ve found exciting and rewarding. All in all, it’s a good gig.
 
My novel is not a peek at my retirement future, as some have assumed.  Rather, it depicts the extreme of what I’d fear finding in retirement. I won’t say how it ends for Phil Greenfield, but for me, it IS better late than ever.       

 

10 comments:

  1. I can certainly sympathize with the things he doesn't miss!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the approach you've taken here. Gonna have to check it out. Have a great day!

    Tyler Roberts
    Truth's Blood

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the intro to the book...sounds like an interesting read. I'd have loved a sneak peek excerpt, too ;-( Next time...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, Shelley, I will put the sneak peek clip in next week's blog and the link back to the boomlitfriday site.

      Delete
  4. Yes, there are many things I wouldn't want to live again! Would love to read your novel.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoyed today's post, and I'm looking forward to hearing more about BETTER LATE THAN EVER in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would love to read more. Next Friday for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I enjoyed today's post too but I don't quite get it...Where is the snippet from your book? This is a presentation of the book, is that right or is it the opening? Also, without links to the Boomer Friday Lit website, it cannot work as a "blog hop": there's no blog to hop to from here! But as Saraphen says, next Friday for sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Claude. Sorry for my variance off target. I'll get the snippet and link back to boomer lit included next week. Enjoyed everyone's blog.

      Delete
  8. Interesting concept. Looking forward to your excerpt.

    ReplyDelete