Monday, January 27, 2014

A Rose by any other Initial?



I had wondered if I was unique in trying to figure out what name should appear on my books.  I wasn’t.  It seems many authors ponder over how to present themselves.   After you get through the decision of real vs. pen name, the next fork in the road is what, if any, initials to use.
There’s a list a mile long of authors who use two initials, J.K. Rowling being the best, current example.  Some authors don’t even stop with two initials.  Who among us can argue that it didn’t work for J.R.R. Tolkien?  But then, there are authors who cast aside their middle name and any initial that goes with it.  I’m not sure that John Grisham has a middle name, and if he does, I suggest he not use it out now.  
So, in the end, I decided on D.R. Shoultz.  My full name is Donn Randall Shoultz.  I had lived my early years being known as Randy.  When I went off to college, I became Donn, which is where I’ve stayed the past 40 years.  Having struggled through a multi-name life, I welcomed the opportunity to get rid of both names and go by D.R.   But now, having thought about it some more, I’ve been wondering about changing to D.R.R. Shoultz.

1 comment:

  1. Never thought about initials on the cover. Now my head is full of wondering :D Great post.

    ReplyDelete