Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Blog Tour


I am a member of a small group of authors who support each other’s works.   Susan Union, author of Rode to Death, recently tapped me on the shoulder to join a Writing Process Blog Tour along with asking me four questions.  Be sure to check out Susan’s novel on Amazon.com.

Here are my responses to the Blog Tour questions:

1. What am I working on?

I have two writing projects in the works. IT GOES ON is my first collection of short stories and is scheduled to be published on June 1st.  Two of the stories in the collection have received 2013 WritersTYPE Awards.  The stories in the contemporary collection range from inspirational to tragic, from lighthearted to suspenseful and are intended to keep the reader entertained to the very end, with the end being only twenty minutes away.


My other project is the second book in the Miles Stevens series, CYBER ONE, targeted for a August-September release.   Stevens is a CIA operative who’s sent back in time from his home in the year 2050 to stop worldwide disasters.   In CYBER ONE, he’s on a mission to stop a cyberattack on U.S. financial systems that occurred in the year 2032.  MELTING SAND, released last year, was the first novel in the series.   The series combines the action/adventure of CIA missions with time travel mystery.   The disasters are those discussed on today’s cable news programs as potentially looming in the future, but for Miles Stevens, they’ve already happened, and he needs to find a way to alter history.


2. Why do I write what I write?

I retired from a 32-year career while still in my mid-fifties.  Retired, recently widowed, and needing an outlet, writing actually found me.   It fills my time, and I find it personally rewarding.  I write mainly action/adventure novels targeting adult audiences.   The genre gives my active imagination the most room to explore.   I’ve self-published three novels the past three years, CORRUPT CONNECTION, BETTER LATE THAN EVER, and MELTING SAND.  I hope you check them out on Amazon. 

3. How does my work differ from others in the genre?

My action/adventure novels have three common elements:  They involve a hero and heroine facing a powerful foe. They take place in the not-so-distant future, providing both plausibility and freedom of imagination.  And they include a dash of romance.   While clearly all three of my novels are focused on action/adventure, I attempt to appeal to a broad audience by including these three elements.

4. What is my writing process?  

I typically write early in the morning or late in the evening.  I find I am most alert during these times of the day, and I have fewer distractions.  I usually have the overall outline of where my book will take me before I begin, but I leave enough flexibility in the plot(s) to surprise even me with new turns as they appear along the way.  Once I begin a writing project, I rarely take more than a few days away from it, and I write the entire book before editing begins.  Editing is a joint project with my wife, an experienced newspaper editor,  and can take longer than creating the original draft.     

I now will tag Michael Murphy, author of Goodbye Emily and The Yankee Club and ask he answer these four questions on his blog and keep the Blog Tour rolling.



1 comment:

  1. Nice blog! Great to get to know you and your work a little better!

    ReplyDelete