Wednesday, May 28, 2014

POST and PANIC




I spend a couple hours writing my blog posts each week.  They’re usually about writing, but I occasionally venture into unchartered waters and write on a topic that hits me that morning.  I select topics that I think readers and writers will find interesting or amusing, maybe even a little edgy.  But I must admit, the selection process isn’t well-defined. 
I will usually bounce the post off my editor (and wife) before I hit the publish button, just to make sure it makes sense to someone other than me, and that I haven’t misplaced commas or screwed up the their-they’re-there thing again. Finally satisfied that it’s ready to go, I hit publish, take a quick look at the post on my website, and then go about my business. 
Frequently, later in the day or that evening, I think about something that I’d written in the post.  I have second thoughts as to whether it needed more polishing, or if it was appropriate, or possibly even offensive to someone.   I’ve even had situations where I’ve sprung up in bed in the middle of the night, rehashing the article I posted the previous day.  After going back and looking at the posts, I rarely change them.   My concerns are usually unfounded, but still, I continue to have these unsettling experiences.
Before writing, I had a long career in sales and marketing.  The business environment was pressure-filled.  I managed large budgets and dozens of employees.  I’ve asked myself, after succeeding (or at least surviving) in that environment, why do I second-guess myself when posting to a writer’s blog?
I’m not really sure, but I think my second-guessing has to do with the vastness of the Internet and the unlimited number of people who can read what I post.  In business, I had a limited number of employees, associates, and clients, but writing exposes you to the world.  Like they say, if you wouldn’t want it in the headlines of your city newspaper, then you shouldn’t post it to social media.
I’m gradually becoming more accustomed with the exposure that comes with writing.  I’d better.  After all, what good is an under-exposed writer?       

No comments:

Post a Comment