Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Writing productivity - Life gets in the way

My writing productivity has hit an all-time low since I took up this avocation five years ago.  It seems life is getting in the way, and that’s not a bad thing.

My wife and I recently returned from a two-week tour of Alaska.  It was on our bucket list, and the cruise and overland excursion were everything we’d anticipated--and more.  I enjoyed doing some reading on our trip, but even though I’m 60,000 words into my next novel, I didn't write one paragraph over the two weeks.

If you read my blog, you know that I’m a supporter of the work done by animal shelters. My wife and I had planned on getting a rescue puppy from a local shelter following our Alaska vacation.  We’d lost our long-time canine companion more than a year ago, and we agreed it was time to add to our family.  Well, we did.  We picked up Milo, a black lab puppy with a Heinz 57 mix in her blood line, and our life has been forever changed.  Milo has her own blog, and you can read about our adventures with Milo at http://milothelab.blogspot.com/

My wife and I are very fortunate to have a group of great friends. With our children and their families living so far away, our friends are very important to us, and it seems every weekend includes time with them.  I anticipate my writing will take a back seat to time with family and friends with the holidays approaching. 

If you add in community volunteering with its associated time commitments, finding time for writing becomes very challenging—and I’m retired.   I’m amazed when I read about writers with small children, full-time jobs, and similar life events to those challenging my time.  I don’t know how they do it.

I’m not complaining. I wouldn't have it any other way.  There was a time soon after I retired when my life stopped.  I didn't know what I would do.  Writing was my way forward, and thankfully, life has slowly gotten in the way.                 


  

No comments:

Post a Comment