Thursday, October 6, 2016

Book Reviews: They're Hard To Come By



Authors crave book reviews.  Most reviews of my books are well-thought and favorable, but I’ve also received not-so-positive critiques.   I appreciate them all.
As a self-published author, it’s difficult to accumulate reviews of my work, and it’s getting even harder.  I estimate fewer than 5% of my readers post a review on Amazon or Goodreads.  It’s difficult to calculate exactly.  I know how many books I’ve sold and how many I’ve given away in promotions, but I don’t know how many of my books have actually been read.      
Successful authors receive plenty of reviews, and getting reviews builds success.  It makes you wonder what comes first, success or reviews? Many factors contribute to becoming a recognized writer, but without favorable reviews, aspiring will forever precede author in your title.
I’ve tried most of the typical approaches used by self-published writers to obtain more reviews:  book signings, author interviews, promotional giveaways, advance reader copies (ARC), and review swap groups.  I promote my work on my blog drshoultz.blogspot.com and via Twitter @drshoultz .   I even ask for reviews at the end of each of my books (a practice frowned upon by established authors).  I, and most new authors, work very hard for each review.     
The pursuit of reviews has become controversial in recent years, the controversy escalating with the explosive growth of self-publishing. The ethical, and even legal, dilemma surrounding solicitation of reviews gives all authors cause for concern.  Personally, I see no harm in offering free copies of my books to readers in exchange for honest reviews, provided the reader acknowledges the gift in their review.  On the other hand, I would never pay anyone for a review.  
Amazon has recently published book reviewer guidelines.  It no longer considers reviews by friends of an author as valid and goes so far as to remove these reviews.  I’ve had a couple taken down.  I told Amazon I couldn’t control whether or not my mom posted reviews, but her review disappeared nevertheless.
One might ask where and how Amazon draws the line on its definition of “friend”.  I know authors with thousands of Facebook and Goodreads friends.  They’ve cultivated their list of internet friends for the primary purpose of expanding their readership.  My advice to these authors is be careful how "friendly" you become with your readers.   
One criteria of success for an author is reaching the point where you have so many reviews you (and Amazon) can’t read them all.  I’m clearly not there yet.  I read each one, some several times--especially the reviews from my mom.       

No comments:

Post a Comment